Tuesday, September 07, 2004

MY FIRST TRIP TO URAN

Well I have heard a lot from my bird watcher friends like Adesh, Shashank, Sagar etc about Uran as being a paradise for bird watching. I did not get a opportunity to be there till then. My expectations were very high when I went there. Adesh, myself, Shashank and Gaurav all of us boarded the Uran bound bus and got down at last stop and began our walk. Well it was indeed a huge walk and the result was great. No regrets walking and no muscle strains too. The opportunity to watch so many birds so close is worth than walking a few miles.
The panoramic view enchanted me and I was spell bound. With many first time birds, nests, bird sightings in close proximity, wild flowers , butterflies and moths, dragonflies and damselflies the place came alive. I was very excited and did not what to see first what next. I had to roll my eyes my around on the ground for flowers and on the sky for birds. It was indeed great experience. As heard about the place it is heaven not only because it has such beautiful birds but because it also promises many wildflowers that again are not seen everywhere.
Few sparkling moments or features of the day
# Number of plants belonging to Fabaceae family ( touch me not family)
# Saw nest of plain Prinia with 4 eggs
# Saw Baya weaver bird male very close
# More than 50 species of wild flowers
# About 70 glossy ibis
# ducks, coots, shovller, etc
#Dragonfly eating away a damsel fly partner when the damselflies were mating
As far as I recollect these are those golden poins. I w am adding the list now.

Birds
Little cormorant
Little grebe
Grey heron
Cattle egret
Median egret
Little egret
Cinnamon bittern
Openbilled stork
Glossy ibis
Gadwall
Eurasian Marsh harrier
Indian white backed vulture
Red wattled lapwing
Golden plover
Little ringed plover
Common sandpiper
Ruff
Pallas’s gull
Gull billed tern
Little tern
Little brown dove
Alexandrine parakeet
House swift
Small blue kingfisher
White breasted kingfisher
Ashy crowned finch lark
Common myna
Pied myna
House crow
Common Iora
Red vented bulbul
Yellow eyed babbler ©
Ashy Prinia
Plain Prinia
Indian Great Reed warbler
Baya weaver
Red munia ( M and F)
There might be a lot of birds I might have left . Please adesh, Shashank do the addition and corrections if any.
Plants
Bombax ceiba
Pongamia pinnata
Cassia tora
Hibiscus lampas
Malachra capitata
Thespesia populnea
Acacia nilotica
Costus speciosus
lantana camara
Calotropis gigantia
Vitex nigundo
Momordica dioica
Gloriosa superba
Celosia argentea
Trichodesma indicum
Physalis minima
Impatiens balsaminae
Sesamum orientale
Nymphea pubescens
Smithia sensitiva
Hygrophila auriculata
Commelina benghalensis
Leucena leucocephala
24. Tephrosia species
25. Adansonia digitata
26. Corcorus sp.
Many more not identified . I wil definitely would like to go back to find the names with resource people and books.
Misc-
Common crow
Common rose
crimson rose
Peacock pansy
Grey pansy
Yellow pansy
Danaid egg fly
psyche
White orange tip
3 spott grass yellow
Blue tiger
Striped tiger
Plain tiger
Signature spider
Garden calotes
Dragon flies and damselflies of various colors

Free Web Site Counter
Free Web Site Counter